Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Here Comes the Preseason

Okay, we've seen the news reports and interviews. With training camp right around the corner, the majority of the roster has been working out for weeks in Waltham (an excellent sign). KG guarantees a championship. Doc says KG will be ready for training camp. Rondo says he's been working on being a better floor general, although he also says it's a skill that's pretty much learned through game experience. ??? Rondo also maintains that Lester Hudson has looked good in pickup games. Hudson credits Paul Pierce with helping him on the pick-and-roll, and that fact is corroborated by Pierce. Hudson seems to have a knack for expressing a healthy balance between confidence (in his shooting and defense) and need for improvement (in his ballhandling). All-in-all, we've probably witnessed an above-average display of enthusiasm and anticipation for the coming season.

And, if the optimistic health reports on KG are accurate, who can disagree?

• Danny and the owners have basically taken the championship team (yes, a little older, but also with improved chemistry) and made it much better.

• With the addition of one player (Daniels), the fatigue danger to Pierce and Ray should be greatly diminished.

• Whereas Posey defended well at two positions, the combination of Sheed and Daniels (between them) arguably defends well at all five positions.

• The depth represented by 12 veterans may be unprecedented in Celtics history (KG, Pierce, Ray, Perk, Rondo, Sheed, Daniels, Baby, House, Scal, Tony, Williams). And the extent of the potential (or lack of it) of the remaining three young guys (Giddens, Walker and Hudson if he is signed) will probably be clarified this season.

• Each of nine veterans (KG, Pierce, Sheed, Daniels, Baby, House, Scal, Tony and Williams) can be legitimately said to play more than one position. So, in a sense, the likely active 12-player roster consists of the equivalent of 21 players.

• The incredible versatility of this roster will provide Doc with the kinds of matchup advantages that will force other teams to adjust to the Celtics rather than vice versa.

• If Doc will relax his two-unit philosophy in favor of situational substitution, he'll be able to "field" all sorts of special-purpose combinations on demand.

• With the possible exception of PG, the team is well situated to gird against injuries with veteran backups.

• And who knows? Danny could yet pick up a veteran backup PG, meaning that (1) either Walker, Giddens or Hudson won't be on the roster and (2) barring injuries, a veteran will very likely have to be on the inactive list for each game.

So what are the things to watch for during the exhibition season? In my mind, it's very largely about combinations:

• Aside from the starters (pretty much a "given"), which five-man combos will exhibit the most natural chemistry?

• When Sheed's in the game, under what circumstances (and with which combos of teammates) will he fit in better down low and on the perimeter?

• Related to the previous question, how will Sheed and Baby divide the roles when they're the two big men out there?

• If Daniels plays some point forward (as Doc says he will), will that mean Eddie House can function effectively at backup PG?

• Would playing with four veterans such as Sheed, Baby, Daniels and Eddie more narrowly define Tony's role as SG so that he may be able to focus on what he does best and therefore perform better?

• What will the three kids show? My guess is that any of them would need to exhibit a "difference-making" skill to dislodge a veteran from the active roster. For example, what if Tony and Walker emerged as a dynamic duo on the fast break? Would that change-of-pace weapon be sufficient to get them in there with Rondo for a few minutes a game and to place Walker, instead of Scal, on the active roster?

These are some of the things I'll be watching. I'm wondering about you.

Sam

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam,

I like your new blog, I guess that I will post here as well as on BDC. I think I will post here with the same screen name, gyso.

I am excited for the new season. I want to see how Doc fits in all the new combinations, especially how Marquis Daniels fits into the equation. I know what Sheed has to offer, but MD is an unknown to me.

Do you plan to do any Game On! threads here or leave that over at BDC? I'll miss the 1st pre-season game because I'll be traveling out to a job site in Penn. that week.

After I post, I'll look at how to set up my profile.

gyso

Anonymous said...

Sam,

I don't remember how I became a "follower", but that may be a start if you can figure that out.

Can you send out invitations to specific people? Then they could follow a link that brings them to the "Become a Follower" page?

Just brainstorming...

gyso

PS: I posted as "Anonymous"

Anonymous said...

Sam,

When I post, it says,

"Your comment will be visible after approval."

You have to approve every post before it shows up? That is a lot of work for you if this blog gets busy.

gyso

beat said...

Sam

being a bit out of the tech end of things and my tech person in Albany I finally figured this out. I'm still using beatLA.

I figure too once Marcus's basketball season starts posting on the BDC site will just get moved or deleted so I might end up posting his stuff here along with the Celtic stuff of course. Most people here will have met him anyway. Ill still be on BDC too.

The new season holds so much hope. I really think we'll come out of the get like a well oiled machine and providing there are no injuries, play like we did to start the last 2 seasons.

Anyway great blog!!

Hi to GYSO too

Sam said...

GYSO, I'm not planning game-on threads here. I'll be joining those on BDC board. But I am planning day-after analysis of the games.

I agree about Marquis. The idea of his playing point forward holds a lot of appeal and potentially makes House a PG candidate. I don't know how Marquis' height will hold up in guarding taller SFs, but I don't imagine he'll be playing the best SFs (who will probably be starting).

I've worked out a way not to have to approve incoming comments. I still have the ability to delete any offensive ones.

I finally figured out that the way to see comments under a particular post of mine is to click on the appropriate link after the notation of the number of comments for that post. I'm still unaware of how to become a "follower" as I haven't gone through that process. (I guess that becoming a follower is the key to being about to comment.) If you or someone could come up with 1, 2, 3 list of steps to become a "follower," I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sam

Sam said...

Beat,

Obviously, your comments about Marcus will always be welcome on this blog. And you may be assured that any potential nastiness about such things will disappear in a real hurry.

I like your "well-oiled" machine imagery because it fits in perfectly with my own vision of interchangeable parts to the machine, as enabled by all the versatility.

And, in terms of being "well-oiled," just think that two years ago we were concerned about developing chemistry among the egos. Now chemistry among the starters has evolved into a STRENGTH.

I'm stoked! (Obviously KG's situation is the major caveat.)

Sam

Sam