Thursday, September 24, 2009

Perspectives on Management Philosophies

I am aware that some people have had difficulties in responding with their own comments.  A few have been able to do so, but the appearance of their comments on the site has been a bit of a struggle.  Please be aware that I'm making every effort to obtain a detailed procedure for you to make comments that will be displayed; and thanks for your indulgence.  At least I've discovered that the way for people to access comments made by all of you is (1) at the end of each of my posts, it tells you how many comments there are; (2) if there is at least one comment, just click on the word "link" to reveal all the comments under that post (including my responses to comments).

While I'm trying to figure out the easiest way for you to make a comment on the blog, the makeup of the blog seems to make it easier for me to post; so I'll continue doing so...starting with the next paragraph.  Those who have figured out how to comment are welcome to do so, and I've fixed it so I don't have to review each one before it's accepted by the blog.  (I can still delete offensive ones after the fact.)

There's always a dearth of Celtics news during the offseason.  But it's a good time to think through some of the logic that usually applies to the actions of management and the front office.

Perhaps the most controversial Celtics issue of the summer has been the extent of KG's knee injury and how soon (if ever) he'll be able to return to full-strength.  If one believes the comments of Danny, Doc, and KG himself, it seems that he'll be his same old frisky, intense self when training camp opens.  On the other hand, troubling media reports continue to surface.  The most recent claims that Kevin's surgical procedure didn't simply entail removing bone spurs but involved a partially damaged tendon that had to be reattached to the bone with staples.

It would be silly for me to add to the conjecture about KG's availability, which we'll know about soon enough.  I'm hoping he'll be sufficiently ready to get into game shape gradually during preseason, while Doc can take advantage of reduced minutes for KG to do additional experimentation with some of the myriad player combinations at Doc's disposal.  But I'm more interested in discussing the expectations of many fans that the Celtics should adopt a policy of making timely, frequent, accurate announcements as to the condition of injured players.

As far as I'm concerned, that doesn't really make a lot of sense.  As far as I know, the league mandates clubs to announce (by game time) which players will be activated for the game, and that's it as far as regulations are concerned.  Left to their own devices, why should general managers or coaches help other clubs with their advance planning?  Why should a general manager who feels a pressing need for backup to a seriously injured player give trade leverage to other teams by letting them know the true urgency of the need?  Why should Danny or Doc have speculated negatively this summer about the possible seriousness of KG's injury when (1) their conjectures could have been deceptively alarmist and (2) they could have thrown a monkey wrench into the other players' very healthy desire to report early and to develop a highly enthusiastic outlook?

Trade leverage is an extremely important consideration and is probably underrated by many fans.  For every trade we hear about, there are probably scores of potential trades that have been discussed and rejected.  And at the core of those discussions is an ongoing struggle for the upper hand in trading leverage.  I'm not suggesting that a general manager distort the medical condition of a potential trading chip from the rival general manager, who will presumably discover during the obligatory physical anyway...while valuable time has passed.  But I do believe extent of need is a key factor in establishing trading leverage.  It's one reason why a player does a dramatic disservice to his team by publicly demanding a trade.  He's ceding "pennies on the dollar" leverage advantage to opponents for certain.

I'd also like to write a few words about another common misconception concerning trades.  Message boards are full of trade suggestions, and many of them are extremely unrealistic.  Typical of what I'm referring to is a situation in which someone will dutifully refer to the RealGM Trade Checker and will dream up a "brainstorm" involving dumping his three least-liked Celtics for one highly desirable incoming player.

Here's a good rule of thumb in thinking about dumping players in trades.  If you don't think much of a player, it's very likely that other teams don't think much of him either.  And simply compounding the attempted larceny by adding more "undesirables" to the mix makes the proposition even more preposterous.  Because quantity is seldom a substitute for quality.  And it's rare that a team wants to clutter its precious few roster slots with mediocrity.

Of course, there may be exceptions to this general rule, as in the KG trade.  Minnesota was interested in stocking their roster with promising youth, and the Celtics needed a veteran defensive intimidator.  But, in that trade, both teams parted with considerable value.  Al Jefferson and Ryan Gomes alone are two young guys who should have very good NBA careers.

So expectations of getting something for practically nothing are usually unrealistic.  In fact, it sometimes makes sense to risk "over-paying" for the right player.   Some fans initially felt the Celtics did so by trading Wally Szczerbiak, Delonte West and Jeff Green for an aging Ray Allen and his suspect ankles.  But Ray's clutch heroics, steadiness and veteran leadership have proven to be an integral part of a championship team and a perennial contender, while Delonte's very unfortunate dilemmas, alone, underscore the tricky risk/reward nature of trades.

Sam

13 comments:

beat said...

Sam

All great points. Getting KG costs us potentially 7 players with draft picks included. We know Al is a budding all star and Gomes is a very serviceable player that can probably average 15 ppg. They also have a few more years left on their bodies than KG does. I just wonder how people can continue to think Mchale did this trade as a favor to Danny. Yes they are friends but Minnesota management and ownership would have to have approved this also.

Both teams rolled the dice on this and for the C's a 7 came up, in time Minnesota might look at this much more favorable.

In a larger sense though with the season about to begin this is the closest well ove 1/2 the teams in the league will see of first place and a good chunck will have little hope of a playoff spot by the time the calendar turns.

What can the league do to level the playing field?

Would they ever consider eliminating some team(s)? Is there really enough talent to warrent this many?

Apparently the cap is going to be lowered again. Teams are losing money. Stern has his work cut out for sure.

beat

PS off topic. We actually went an entire day with no contact from Sarah.
Marcus recieved the Lions Pride award from the local Lions Club the other evening too.
All in all a good week.

Sam said...

Beat,

Actually, it could be said that the Celts rolled the dice and came up with a "17." LOL.

Yeah, I'm sick of hearing that Danny/McHale collusion bull (how nice to be able to say that word). There are all sorts of friendships around the league. Red had them too—as well as many people (perhaps upwards of half the general managers at some points) who utterly refused to consider trading with him.

You're right about the unlevel playing field. If we even care about it (as rooters one of the "haves"), think about how dispirited fans of the "have nots" must feel. Small wonder people are so susceptible to becoming "star-struck." So many of them have nothing else to cheer for.

I keep hearing that there will be some attrition as teams will fold. But the trend seems to be for the so-called "weak sisters" to move, rather than folding, apparently in hopes of cashing in on even short-term enthusiasm from a different city.

At least places like Orlando, San Antonio and seem to be proving that smaller markets can support contenders. How predicated that is on the presence of Howard, Duncan and Lebron remains to be seen.

Hey, wouldn't it be ironic (not healthy but ironic) if the league wound up with just eight or nine teams? I wonder what would happen to the quality of the basketball (and the salaries). LOL...obviously just funnin'.

I think a lot about Sarah and am happy for any good signs. And please give Marcus my profound congratulations. That's a cool honor! (I hope that, in his acceptance speech, he didn't diss the kid who blocked his shot in the sixth grade. LOL.)

Sam

Unknown said...

Everybody wants to trade a bag of nails for an all-star. What a shock.

Everybody thinks that an all-star not at the end of his career will be willing to come off the bench and not disrupt chemistry.

bob
P.S. Ok, I admit it, creating 'statster' for this site, which was by invitation only by people who already know my real name, was pretty stupid.

Sam said...

Hey Bob, I thought the name had potential for a board game, with all sorts of special effects. But if you choose not to add a little glitz to the blog, that's up to you.

Frankly, I shortened mine to "Sam" because I don't think it's right for my own personal blog to "trade on" a nickname developed by one Celtics icon for another. Everyone does stuff like that on the message board.

Sam

beat said...

Bob (statster)

I actually thought when you did it it was a good choice.........then I come on here and wonder who the heck you are.

I kept mine the same so I'd know who I am. The less pass words and sign on names the better.

Do you know that when you click on your name on BDC that they are still "reviewing" your status. They've been doing that for at least a week. Are you hidding something from the rest of us? I wonder what they are "reviewing"?

I think it is rather amusing actually!

beat

Rosalie said...

Well, I found my way here! I had stopped reading that last post on BDC of "If Red Were Alive", it seemed that it was becoming a war of words and after a while, basketball really wasn't the topic. The one thing I wonder is, would all of those people who are complaining about the trade, undo it? Do they believe that with the players we had we would have won #17? In order to get, you have to give. This is still such an exciting time to watch this team. I really can't wait for this season to start. So let's be thankful for what we have, and move on to #18.

bobc33 said...

A Celtics blog with civil discourse? I must be in heaven!

Good job Sam, I'm looking forward to:

a. The season starting
b. Following and contributing to this blog.

BobC

Sam said...

Hey, Rosalie and Bob, welcome aboard. I hope we'll have some fun with this. Bob, you and GYSO are the adventurous ones who used the avatar.

I'm still hoping someone will furnish me with the detailed steps you have to go through to post your comments. My posting process is different, since I created the board. My computer is recognized by the site, so it won't let me "pretend" to be a newcomer so I can go through that process. I'd really appreciate a nice check list, since I believe posting it would attract more users.

I do want to point out (so I'm not misleading anyone), that there is advertising off to the side, so this could be a money-making venture (probably small potatoes, but who knows?). So, I'm actually hoping the trolls show up so I can zap them while also making money on them (which has already happened).

Rosalie, your comment about the KG trade has given me an idea for my next "article" post. I had one written about role players, but I'm going to defer posting that because your thought is more timely. Thanks a lot.

Sam

Unknown said...

Hi everyone,

Dad said I had to post something.

Wish I had a picture of him falling last week. We were walking back to the van from the Syracuse football game and going down a steep hill on the grass. Dad said thet he was glad there wasn't much dew or it would be.........never got the word slippery out and down goes Frazier. I knew he was hurting but we got to the car and headed home. He's getting better but it was still sort of funny.

We'll be heading to Syracuse again in while to see them play Maine.

Might not post much but dad said I ought to say something.

It was nice seeing most of you a couple of months ago, And Mr. Cronin dad really does like dogs.

Marcus

Sam said...

Hey Marcus, great to hear from you. I hope you become a "regular."

Tell your dad not to try to use the word "slippery" in the future. It's bad luck. LOL. I'm glad the ribs were only cracked, but I know even that can be uncomfortable.

Hey listen, I know you're in touch with your sister. Please be sure to give her my best and tell her I hope she's really getting into the flow in Albany.

And best of luck with the coming basketball season. I didn't realize you are 6 feet now. Me too. I just have poor posture.

All the best,

Sam

irishmic1 said...

Training camp to start, anticipate more excitement for Celtic fans, as we prepare for another championship banner. Look forward to share and learn more in sights of "our" beloved team.

Sam said...

Let's hear it for the Irish. Welcome aboard, Mic!

Were you able to figure out how to post without a lot of hassle?

Sam

irishmic1 said...

Able to post with some tech difficulties, (no Techi knowledge in this old bag of bones) but with Celtic perserverance I'll continue to learn and participate to the best of my ability. Sincerely enjoy reading different perspectives of Celtic team. Also a sincere hello and thank-you to all bloggers on this site. We have the potential to provide excellant insight for Celtic lovers.