Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Post-game Threads and an Ongoing "Celtics Evaluation Scorecard"

It's my intention to start a post-game thread after each game, so that we may discuss the game, our observations, some broader implications for the Celtics, etc.  I will NOT start this thread until after the game because I don't want to impose on the always-entertaining "Game-on Thread" of Boston.com (which I hope to join as often as possible).

I don't want this thread to be a lot of Sam's opinions, so I just plan to make the thread available; and I hope you'll comment on your thoughts about the game.  I'll chime in as appropriate.  If there's a lull, I may try to get things going with a few remarks.

There is one part of this thread that I'm tentatively hoping to make a constant for every game...a vote for the game MVP and your ratings (from 0, meaning awful, through a perfect 10) on each of the following facets of the game:
                                                                             Very
 Awful --Poor--   ---Fair---    Avg.   Above avg   Good   Good   Perfect
    F      D  D+    C Minus      C        C+    B-       B        B+       A
    0      1   2      3       4       5        6       7        8        9         10

A   Offense
B   Defense
C   Rebounding
D   Coaching
E   Intensity
F   Chemistry
G   Passing
H   Ball-handling/ball control
I    Tempo/control of the pace
J    Killer instinct/performance in the clutch

I hope to keep track of your ratings over time so we can look for trends as the season progresses.  I'll even strain my Excel skills to try to maintain breakouts of the data according to:

Home games
Away games
Games against .500+ teams
Games against Eastern Conference teams
Games against Western Conference teams

And, of course, a running tabulation of the MVP selections

If you're going to provide ratings, please put them at the beginning of your post.  Then feel free to make any comments you wish—either beside the ratings or following the list of ratings.

To make it quicker for you to give your ratings, I'll just ask you to use the following format (without typing out all the ratings categories).  Remember, these are NOT rankings (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.).  They're RATINGS (from awful to perfect in each category.  A rating of zero means awful; a rating of 10 means perfect.  Or use any rating between zero and 10.    (The ratings in the example below are hypothetical of course.)

MVP: KG
A  10 
B    5 
C    7 
D    4 
E    9
F    7
G   4
H   0
I    7
J    8


If you want to make comments, they go here OR beside the ratings (your choice).

Simple as that.

Let's see how it works.  If it's a bomb, I'll scuttle the idea.  And, if anyone can think of other ratings categories that should be added, we can do so as we go along.

Thanks, and I'll start the first post-game thread after Wednesday's game against Houston.  GO CELTS.

Sam

9 comments:

irishmic1 said...

The post game review is a great idea, I know I will appreciate the insights from the game since I work the 3-11 shift and all to often miss the live game. Just like a "Havlicek off the glass" I'll have a "positive spin" of how the celtics played, and what to look forward too in the next game.

Anonymous said...

Nice to join you all. This site looks great.

Sam said...

Thanks Irish and dslack,

I'm working at trying to convert a blog (which is, by definition, centered around one person) to what I'd call a "closely held facsimile of a message board" (meaning subject control is shared by the many while the matter of civility is centrally monitored).

So I'm instituting this daily "omnibus thread," which will allow anyone to post on whatever Celtics-related topics he/she wishes. As well as a post-game thread, which will have pretty much the same open-ended approach and will also incorporate a regular "scorecard" feature evaluating the team on some standardized factors.

Then I plan to fill in whatever gaps there are, either in a given thread or during periods of Celtics activity.

And I'll be the "zapmaster."

Right now, that's the plan. How well it will work, I don't know. But I welcome suggestions.

I'm not really trying to compete directly with a Boston.com type board because I hope the blog format will lend itself to more in-depth, high-quality discussion niche, to say nothing of more consistent civility. And I personally plan to continue posting on the Boston.com Board, which I have always valued (especially the Game-on Threads).

We'll see what happens. Thanks for your support.

Sam

Unknown said...

I'm going to have to come up with a spreadsheet to track all the votable variables. LOL.

We're almost there, almost there...

bob

Sam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sam said...

Bob,

Great. I'm doing the same thing, and we can check each other's math. I figure I'm going to tally the ratings for each game manually and just enter the average for each factor on the spreadsheet. That way, each game will be weighted equally when I tabulate totals.

I'm planning on a preseason total and periodic subtotals for the season (excluding the season). And the season subtotals (and final total) will be broken down by home/away, versus East/West teams, and teams with .500+ records.

Maybe, between the preseason and the season, we'll run a contest asking people to predict (my favorite thing in life—LOL) the final rating for each category to two decimal points. The person with the smallest collective deviation from the real season totals wins a modest prize (modest because it will come out of my pocket) and a lot of prestige.

By the way, if you're really going to do your own tabulation, here are the categories for which I'm asking for 0=awful to 10=perfect ratings:

A Offense/plays/shooting/spacing/timing/etc.

B Defense/strategy/stops/disruption/etc.

C Rebounding/blocking out

D Passing/ball distribution/outletting

E Ballhandling/ball control

F Intensity/hustle/first to the ball

G Chemistry/fluidity/teamwork

H Tempo/control of the pace

I Killer instinct/performance in the clutch

J Coaching/substitutions/timeouts

If you can think of others that I'm missing that wouldn't be redundant with these, please let me know.

Best,

Sam

Rosalie said...

I watched most of the game last night, was impressed with KG, Daniels, and Hudson. Someone mentioned having a 50# overweight center, the sad thing is, this guy could be a decent ballplayer if he lost weight. He has some good moves around the basket. I am not saying he is super, believe me, but it is interesting. He has no chance of making this club, but I hope for his sake, he keeps on his journey and finds his way.

Daniels was impressive in the paint, his outside shooting leaves a little to be desired, but he is
a real good sign.

Hudson is a piece to this puzzle that may fit. He has some quick moves and is not afraid to shoot.
Not a bad free throw shooter either.

It sounds as if everyone is a little disappointed in the game last night, however, the regulars
only played about 14-16 minutes each. When you have so many new people, and people who are not used to playing together, it takes time. I have patience. You should too.

It is great to see so many of the regulars here on Sam's site. At least we can enjoy each other without being ridiculed time and again.

Sam said...

Rosalie,

I try not to be too biased, but I must admit to developing somewhat of a soft spot for Hudson. He basically got thrown to the wolves last night, and he stood in there and didn't give an inch.

I've always had this "success formula," which I've passed along to many young people who were frustrated at not being able to find work.

Aptitude + Effort = Success.

Sometimes a little bit of luck doesn't hurt either.

Lester seems to have the aptitude. He's obviously willing to make the effort. I think he is somewhat lucky to be playing for Doc (who I believe is intrigued by the kid).

So here's hoping he'll become a big success in the NBA...whether sooner or later.

Sam